There are more than 391,000 species of vascular plants currently known to science. Out of this number, about 369,000 species or 94% are flowering plants, as per the reports shared by the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, in the United Kingdom. There are plants which need extensive care like lilies or citrus plants and then there are plants that require minimum care to prosper. Money plant is one such low-maintenance plant whose scientific name is Epipremnum Aureum. From sunlight to water requirement – money plant is a low maintenance fuss-free plant but that doesn’t mean, it doesn’t require any care at all.
A minimal care guide is required for a healthy and prosperous money plant. But before knowing all the nitty-gritty details about Money Plants, it is important to know about the plant a bit more.
Some Facts About Money Plants:
- Money Plant is native to Mo’orea in French Polynesia.
- The common names are- Golden Pothos, Ceylon Creeper, Ivy Arum, Silver Vine, Taro Vine, & Solomon Islands Ivy.
- Money plant is a common houseplant in temperate, tropical, and sub-tropical regions of the world like Australia, South Asia, and Southeast Asia.
- One of the most interesting things about money plant is that it is effective in attracting wealth and enhancing good luck.
- The five leaves on each branch represent the five elements of Nature- Fire, Water, Air, Metals, and Wood.
Care Guide- When the Money Plant is potted in Soil:
Caring for a money plant is an easy task. A well-cared money plant can grow up to a height of 12 feet. If average care is given to this plant, then, also it will reach up to 7 feet in height approximately. It is a great plant for beginners to start their gardening activity.Soil:
Well-Drained soil is what money plant requires. So, one can mix river sand with normal potting soil. Sand allows brilliant aeration and drainage to plants and thus the plant will prosper well. One can also opt for potting soil with high pearlite content (which is also used for cacti plants).Water:
Money plant is a strange plant as it can thrive when you water it adequately or underwater it. Under-watering would still be okay but over-watering can be detrimental to its growth. Watering a money plant once in 7 or 10 days is perfect for summer season because the soil also needs to dry up between two watering sessions. But again, the gap cannot extend so long that the soil starts to crack up. Therefore, one can touch the topsoil and feel the dryness and decide when to water again. Also, there shouldn’t be water clogging. During winter months, one can mist the leaves only and thorough watering can be done once in every 2 – 3 weeks.Sunlight:
Money plant generally grows well in direct sunlight in garden, in indoor places, or low light conditions. A partially sunny and partially shady area is also preferred for good growth of money plants. This plant can sustain a high amount of sunlight but one must remember that scorching rays will burn the leaves. So, selecting a shady yet bright position in lawn, terrace, garden, or indoor space would be great for money plant care.Fertilizing:
One can feed some fertilizers to money plants while watering once a month. While applying fertilizers, one must read the manufacturer’s instructions and apply only the instructed amount. Another important thing to remember is that the fertilizers should be applied only in the evening and it may burn the roots during the daylight. Winter is the month when fertilizers should be avoided.Potting:
The size of the pot always depends on the size of plants. It is better to opt for heavy or big pots because in future the plant will grow and would require repotting. And also in small pots, the growth would be restricted.
Care Guide- When The Money Plant is Grown In Water:
Many people prefer to grow money plants in just a bottle of water and keep it near the window which climbs up the window beautifully. In such cases, the money plant care instructions would be different.
- One must keep at least one node below the water level for proper growth.
- One can also fold the branch inside the water so that more nodes can be included in water to promote roots at all nodes.
- The money plant container must be kept near sunlight which promotes growth.
- The water must be changed every week without fail.
- To maintain the water level, frequently water must be added.
- And when the money plant is grown in water, there is no need for adding fertilizers.
As stated above, taking care of money plant is really easy. Let the money plant prosper with shining leaves and bring more beauty to indoor or outdoor space.
SOURCE : fnp